- Location of laboratory
- Glasgow Royal Infirmary
- Dr Rory Gunson: [email protected]
- Name and postal address of the laboratory
- West of Scotland Specialist Virology Centre,
Level 5, New Lister Building,
Glasgow Royal Infirmary,
10-16 Alexandra Parade,
- DX address
- 6491304 (Glasgow 94G exchange)
- Telephone number for enquiries & fax number
- Tel: 0141 201 8722
Fax: 0141 201 8723
- Dr Rory Gunson, Consultant Clinical Scientist, Clinical Lead [email protected]
- Dr Celia Jackson, Consultant Medical Virologist & Infectious Diseases physician [email protected]
- Dr Samantha Shepherd, Consultant Clinical Scientist [email protected]
- Dr Amanda Stewart, Principle Clinical Scientist [email protected]
- Stephen Hughes, Technical Services Manager [email protected]
- Ann Hawthorn, Site Laboratory Manager [email protected]
- What do we do?
The West of Scotland Specialist Virology Centre (WoSSVC) is located in the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and is part of the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Health Board.
We provide a full range of virology tests to our users and our development team are continuously updating and introducing new assays.
In addition to our routine repertoire we are part of The Scottish National Blood Borne Virus Specialist Testing Service which provides specialist testing for blood borne viruses for Scotland. We are also responsible for testing respiratory specimens for national surveillance purposes.
Our website is specifically aimed at providing our users with the information they need to use our service most effectively (www.nhsggc.org.uk/virology).
Our staff are always happy to discuss any problems you may have regarding individual patients or to discuss the quality of the service we provide.
- Out of hours' service
During working hours, the duty clinician can be contacted for advice on patient management, diagnosis and treatment on 0141 201 8722. Outwith these times the duty clinical virologist is available via the Glasgow Royal Infirmary switchboard on 0141 211 4000. There is a consultant available 24 hours a day.