- Location of laboratory
- South Yorkshire: Sheffield Virology Services Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Dr Mohammad Raza: [email protected]
- Name and postal address of the laboratory
- Sheffield Virology Services (SVS)
Northern General Hospital
Herries Road, Sheffield
We are based at the Northern General Hospital (nearer to Meadowhall, Junction 34 M1). You can find details of hospital location here: (http://www.sth.nhs.uk/patients/28.php) Within the hospital the lab may be difficult to locate. The lab is signposted “PHLS Laboratory” and is found opposite the GT News, on the first floor, above the haematology department. This block is right next to the biochemistry department. All visitors must report to the reception first.
- DX address
- Sheffield PHL DX 6260100 Sheffield 90 S
- Telephone number for enquiries & fax number
- Results enquiries: 0114 2714777
Medical Secretary: 0114 2714524
Clinical Advice: 0114 2434343 Bleep 537 Or through medical sec
Internal: Bleep 537 NGH / Ext 15870
CVN contact: Dr M Raza 0114 2714526
Fax: 0114 2421385
- Professor Goura Kudesia, Consultant Virologist and Honorary Professor Clinical Virology [email protected]
- Dr Mohammad Raza, Consultant Virologist and Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer University of Sheffield, [email protected]
- Dr Alison Cope, Consultant Virologist and Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer University of Sheffield, [email protected]
- Rob Eggington, Laboratory Manager (Microbiology & Virology) [email protected]
- Duncan Whittaker, Departmental Manager [email protected]
- Dr Laura Dexter, Clinical Lecturer [email protected]
- Dr Hanan AlKindi, Specialist Registrar [email protected] sth.nhs.uk
- Dr Helena Ellam, Specialist Registrar [email protected]
- Geraldine Ball, Serology Manager [email protected]
- Mark Bradley, Microbiology IT Manager [email protected]
- Gillian Helm, BMS2 Section Leader [email protected]
- Leeanne Horner, BMS2 Section Leader [email protected]
- Witchill Lo, BMS2 Section Leader [email protected]
- Ann Van Hegan, BMS2 Section Leader [email protected]
- Mehmet Yavu, BMS2 Section Leader [email protected]
- Kelvin Blakey, BMS2 Section Leader [email protected]
- What do we do?
Serology, Automated serology, Molecular, Chlamydias and Virus Isolation
Geographical Areas covered:
The laboratory offers comprehensive diagnostic services across the trust which includes Northern General Hospital, Royal Hallamshire Hospital and Western Park Hospital. We also provide complete
virology services to the Sheffield Childrens’ Hospital. In addition, the lab acts as a reference centre for the local district general hospitals in Barnsley, Chesterfield, Rotherham and Doncaster. Medical virology cover is provided for Doncaster and Bassettlaw Hospitals. We are the regional stockholders
for VZIG & HBIG.
Assays performed Inhouse:
Serology: HIV 1&2 antibodies (Cenatur, Adaltis, Duo VIDAS Ultra), HAV IgM/Total Ab (Centaur), Complete HBV serology (HBsAg (Centaur & Diasorin), HBcTotal Ab, HBcIgM Ab, HBeAg, HBeAb, HBsAb), HCV Ab (Cenatur, BioRad, RIBA), VZV IgM, IgG (VIDAS & EIA), MMR IgMs & IgGs, CMV Total Ab, IgM, IgG, Avidity, EBV IgM, VCA IgG, EBNA IgG, HSV 1&2 IgG,HTLV 1&2 Ab, CFTs, Parvo IgM, IgG, Legionella Ab, Syphilis (TPPA, VDRL, IgM), Toxoplasma Latex, Toxoplasma IgM, IgG,
Mycoplasma GPAT, ASO titres, AntiDNAse Ab, Helicobacter IgG.
Molecular: CMV PCR (Roche Lightcycler), HSV PCR (Artus, ABI), VZV PCR (Artus, ABI), EBV PCR (Artus, ABI), Enterovirus PCR (Artus, Lightcycler), HBV PCR, HCV PCR (Roche Amplicor), HIV PCR (Roche Amplicor), Respiratory PCRs (Flu A/B, RSV A/B, Rhinovirus, HMPV A/B, PF 1-4, Coronavirus, Adenovirus), HCV genotyping, VIPER/SDA /RealTime PCR for Chlamydia, VIPER/SDA for Gonococcus.
Norovirus EIA, Rotavirus EIA (card test), Adenovirus EIA
- Out of hours' service
An out of hours service is provided for needlestick injuries/body fluid exposures (source patient testing). This includes HIV antibodies, HBsAg and HCV antibodies. To arrange this testing please contact the On-call Microbiology BMS through Northern General Hospital Switchboard (0114 2434343) and ensure at least 5ml of blood is urgently sent to the NGH Haematology reception. Transplant donor and Antenatal
testings are offered by the National Blood Services.