Cambridge University Hospital
- Location of laboratory
- Cambridge Biomedical Campus,
- Dr Hongyi Zhang
- Name and postal address of the laboratory
- Public Health England,
Clinical Microbiology and Public Health Laboratory,
Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust,
Cambridge Biomedical Campus,
Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 0QW
- DX address
- DX number: 6050100, Exchange: Cambridge 90 CB.
- Telephone number for enquiries & fax number
- Tel: 01223 216814
Fax: 01223 242775
- Dr Nicholas Brown, Consultant Medical Microbiologist, Interim Lead Public Health Microbiologist, East of England & Director [email protected]
- Dr Hongyi Zhang , Consultant Virologist & Deputy Director [email protected]
- Ms Laura Ryall , Regional Head of Operations, PHE East of England [email protected]
- Dr. Hamid Jalal , Consultant Virologist [email protected]ookes.nhs.uk
- Dr Kathryn Rolfe, Virology Consultant Clinical Scientist [email protected]
- Dr Chris Smith , Consultant Virologist [email protected]
- Dr Tim Wreghitt , Virology Consultant Clinical Scientist [email protected]
- Dr Martin Curran, Head of Molecular Development [email protected]
- Dr Jane Greatorex, Senior Scientist [email protected]
- Mr Martin Strickland , Microbiology Laboratory Manager [email protected]
- Mr Martin L’Estrange, Virology/Molecular Service Manager [email protected]
- Mr Surendra Parmar, Molecular Development Scientist [email protected]
- Mr Gordon Sutehall, Governance Manager [email protected]
- Marianne Milbourne , Administration Manager [email protected]
- What do we do?
We offer comprehensive diagnostic serology and molecular services for viral and microbial pathogens complete with clinical interpretation and advice.
Hepatitis A virus total and IgM antibodies
Hepatitis B virus screening, confirmation and markers
Hepatitis C virus screening and confirmation
Hepatitis D virus antibodies
Hepatitis E virus IgG and IgM
HIV screening and confirmation
CMV IgG and IgM
Erythrovirus IgG and IgM
EBV IgG and IgM
Measles virus IgG and IgM
Mumps virus IgG and IgM
Rubella virus IgG and IgM
HTLV I/II antibodies
VZV IgG and IgM
Toxoplasma gondii IgG
Helicobacter pylori faecal antigen
Helicobacter pylori IgG
Treponema pallidum IgG
Borrelia burgdorferi IgG
Rotavirus/adenovirus faecal antigen
Respiratory virus multiplex PCR for influenza A, influenza B, RSV, rhinovirus, metapneumovirus, adenovirus and parainfluenza virus types 1-4.
Influenza A virus subtyping (H1, H3, H5, H7) and oseltamivir susceptibility testing of H1N1.
Quantitative PCR assays for CMV, HIV, HBV, HCV, BKV, EBV and adenovirus.
Qualitative PCR assays for EBV, adenovirus, norovirus, enteroviruses, parechovirus, JCV, HEV, HSV-1, HSV-2, VZV, measles, Bordetella pertussis and Pneumocystis jirovecii.
Genotyping of HCV and HIV
Genotypic resistance testing of HIV
NAAT for Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae
Ribotyping of Clostridium difficile
Out of hours’ service
Urgent testing for blood-borne viruses following needle-stick injury.
Urgent testing for blood-borne viruses in organ donors.
- Out of hours' service