Wales Virology Network | WSVC Cardiff
- Location of laboratory
- Wales Specialist Virology Centre (WSVC) | Cardiff
- Dr. Rachel Jones: [email protected]
- Name and postal address of the laboratory
- Wales Specialist Virology Centre (WSVC)
University Hospital of Wales
- Telephone number for enquiries & fax number
- UHW switchboard - 029 2074 7747
- Dr. Rachel Jones, Consultant Virologist National Lead [email protected]
- Dr.Nicola Price, Consultant Virologist [email protected]
- Dr. Laura Dexter , Consultant Virologist [email protected]
- Dr. Jaisi Sinha , Consultant Microbiologist / Virologist [email protected]
- Mr Jonathon Evans, Operations Manager [email protected]
- Dr Sally Corden, Head of Welsh Molecular Unit [email protected]
- Dr Catherine Moore, Clinical Scientist [email protected]
- Dr Neil Owen, Quality Lead Virology [email protected]
- What do we do?
Virology diagnostic services in Wales are provided as a Public Health Wales Virology Network. The network’s main reference laboratory is the Wales Specialist Virology Centre (WSVC) based in University Hospital Wales – Cardiff along with the Specialist Virology Unit (WSVU) based in Singleton Hospital – Swansea.
The Virology Diagnostic Network works in collaboration with the Molecular Diagnostic Unit (based in University Hospital Wales – Cardiff) to respond to emerging health needs (such as measles and MERS coronavirus) and to deliver virological surveillance and screening programmes across Wales. Both laboratories hold CPA accreditation as part of the Public Health Wales accredited laboratory network and participate in national IQC and EQA schemes with regular clinical governance meetings.
Under the guidance of WSVC the Public Health Wales Virology Network is committed to the reliable delivery and continuing development of a high quality, standardised All-Wales seromolecular service for the diagnosis and management of virological infection. It also supports the many other functions of Public Health Wales in the provision of an evidence-based, reactive service for infectious diseases in Wales.
WSVC has 30 staff members performing approximately 400,000 tests on 180,000 samples per annum, employing more than 100 different laboratory tests. The WSVC offers virology clinical advice and urgent testing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, serving both local and national needs.
WSVU – Swansea has 13 staff members performing approximately 285,000 tests on 150,000 samples per annum, employing more than 140 different laboratory tests. The WSVU offers virology clinical advice and urgent testing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, serving local needs.
PHW website www.publichealthwales.org/
- Out of hours' service
Out of hours on call advice 24/7 via UHW switchboard – 029 2074 7747